The Kid Who Gave Up Baseball Hale Irwin Dan Reardon

You hear the question raised on wintry nights on sports talk radio shows. You can find it being kicked around a corner tavern the week of a major championship. Are golfers athletes? Grouped with jockeys, bowlers, and race-car drivers, golfers seem to threaten, for some, the integrity of the term athlete. While that argument may be waged endlessly with no satisfactory resolution, there can be no doubt that in at least one instance one of golf’s all-time great players was a certified athlete. Three-time U.S. Open champion Hale Irwin authored Hall of Fame credentials on the PGA Tour and subsequently on the Senior PGA Tour, but before he took his golf game to the professional ranks Irwin carved a football reputation in the tough Big Eight Conference as a two-time AllConference defensive back for the University of Colorado Buffaloes. The same “do whatever it takes to win” attitude that typified his golf career was imprinted on Irwin as an athlete in his youth. Introduced to golf by his father on a sand green municipal golf course in Baxter Springs, Kansas, Irwin also followed the sports path of every youngster of his generation in Little League baseball. “Baseball was my best sport, but I also had to work, and I decided I had to give up something, so I gave up baseball.” By age fourteen, and now living in Boulder, Colorado, Irwin was good enough to qualify for a national junior tournament in August. It was an inauspicious national debut with rounds of 79 and 90. His last two years in high school saw Irwin win the state high school tournament while at Boulder High School, but it was football that was his ticket to college. “Football was a way to go to college,” says Irwin. It was also a way to hone a competitive intensity that became Irwin’s trademark on Tour. “When I was playing college football, I was undersized, under speed, under everything. I had to do something a bit better than everyone else. I either studied more film or read my keys better or anticipated better. I really couldn’t outphysical anybody. I just positioned myself to play better than the next guy. I think that helped me. I had the determination to get it done. The intensity that I had to play at allowed me to compete with others with better skills.” Despite his success on the gridiron, Irwin knew the NFL was not the direction for him as an adult, but the competitor in him has never allowed him to dismiss his chance of taking that sport to the next level. “There were players that I played with at Colorado, and players elsewhere in the Big Eight, that went on to success in the NFL. I felt I competed side by side with them and against them and, I think, held my own. Could I have made it? Down inside my soul I can come up with an honest maybe.” It was golf that he had envisioned for his future since he wrote an eighthgrade essay charting a life for himself as a professional golfer, and winning the 1967 NCAA Golf Championship was the accomplishment he needed to make the turn to professional in 1968. While he left his pads and helmet behind him, he took the mind-set of the game to a sport very different from the gridiron. “It’s hard to separate that emotional, intense, physical game of football versus the more sedate, cerebral, and less physical action of golf. It’s more likely that a football mentality will transcend into golf than a golf mentality will transcend into football. In my case that intensity carried into my younger years. People saw that intensity that I played with, and to this day that’s me, that intense competitor. I can look into the eyes of a Jack Nicklaus or an Arnold Palmer, and that same look is there. It just wasn’t as glorified because they didn’t play another sport.” His first two years on the Tour were years of making cuts and posting few top tens. “I never doubted I would succeed,” he remembered. “I just didn’t know when I was going to make it. I just had to say OK to the 118 Golf’s Greatest Eighteen timetable.” That schedule found him breaking through for the first time as a professional at the 1971 Heritage Classic with a one-shot win over Bob Lunn. Two years later he solved Harbour Town Golf links for a second win, this time by five over Jerry Heard and Grier Jones. Twice a winner on Tour and now top ten on the money list would qualify as success on the PGA Tour, but for Irwin it fell short of what he had set his sights on. “I was sort of a winner. But I felt for me to be what I wanted to be, not what others thought I might be, was to be a major championship winner.” He crossed that threshold a year later. In the history of the U.S. Open the 1974 championship at Winged Foot has an infamous reputation. Tagged by one writer as the “Massacre at Winged Foot,” the course was the toughest Open setup since 1955 at Olympic. Longtime Open observer Robert Sommers noted in his book The U.S. Open: Golf’s Ultimate Challenge, “Vandals drove a car across the first green after the opening round, but they were so hard that no one noticed except the men who set the cups early Friday morning.” It was Winged Foot that elicited perhaps the most famous comment on U.S. Open setups when Sandy Tatum responded to the question “Is the USGA trying to embarrass the best players in the world?” by saying “No, we’re just trying to identify them.” For Irwin, Winged Foot was an ideal convergence of an attitude and an approach that matched the demands on the field. “I can remember coming into that tournament that I had just come off a finish for second in Philadelphia and went up to Winged Foot, and the practice rounds were brutal. This was the hardest golf course that I had ever played, not only before but since. It was everything that you would ever want to see in a golf course and then some. “So I thought if I can just be steady, keep my emotions under control— because everyone is going to make bogeys this week; just don’t make as many bogeys as the next guy. Then if you make a birdie that is a gift from heaven, because there are so few birdie holes. So just go out there and play your game.” Three bogeys coming home on his opening round left him trailing Gary Player by three, but a second-round 70 tied him with Arnold Palmer, Ray Floyd, and Player. A patient 71 in round three left Irwin one off the pace of Tom Watson and strangely comfortable with his position. “As the week went on, I just kept keeping that in mind and kept playing my game, playThe Kid Who Gave Up Baseball • Hale Irwin 119 ing my game,” says Irwin. “So we started the last day, and Tom Watson was leading, and Arnold Palmer and I are behind. Tom Watson was a young Tom Watson, and this was the only time in my career I wasn’t too worried about Watson. I just didn’t think his game was going to be a good fit for the final day. “Arnie’s career hadn’t necessarily peaked, but he was just on the other side of that. My concern was to play my game . . . and then would somebody out of the pack come up behind us? But I realized no one could come up from far back in the pack because this golf course was just too hard. So I kept playing my game, made a big birdie putt at the ninth hole to take the lead, and never surrendered it.” It wasn’t that simple on the closing nine. After the go-ahead birdie at the ninth he parred just one hole over the next seven. That set the stage for his first pivotal career moment at the par-four 444-yard seventeenth. “What epitomized my efforts that week was on that hole. I did not know what kind of a lead I had. Leader boards were not as frequent as we now have them. I suspected I had the lead, but I didn’t know if I had it by one or two or what. “I drove it into the rough on the seventeenth hole, and I just had to hack it out of there. I was 103 yards from the pin. I hit it in there about twelve feet or so. I felt I had to make this putt to keep the lead or at least be tied. It was not any easy putt, but I made it, and that was just the symbol of how I played that week. I kept grinding it out. I just had to do this shot now. I couldn’t worry about that I had driven it in the rough, and I couldn’t worry about eighteen, even though it’s a tough hole. I had to do something right then. I had to keep it simple and sweet and straight in the hole. “Then, when I got to the eighteenth tee, someone told me I had a twoshot lead, but a two-shot lead on the last hole could go very quickly. I drove it right down the middle and hit one of the best two-irons of my life up onto the green. Then I two-putted for the win.” Or perhaps, more appropriately, he’d survived his first major duel with the fates of golf. Irwin’s seven-over-par total was the second highest since World War II, and he and runner-up Forrest Fezler, at nine over, were the only totals less than double figures above level par. The ex–football player had taken on one of the biggest brutes of major tournament golf history and proved something, to himself. “It proved that I could compete at that level,” reflects Irwin. Over the next five years he settled into a routine, winning and cashing big paychecks. Multiple win years followed in 1975, ’76, and ’77. At Medinah in 1975 he missed repeating as Open champion, finishing a single stroke out of a play-off with John Mahaffey and Lou Graham. Over that time he recorded eighty-six consecutive Tour appearances without missing a cut, one of the longest streaks in golf history. Open win number two, like most middle children, is the overlooked jewel in his three-gem crown. The Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio, had a history of denying good scores in previous Open Championships. No player had ever broken even par for the event when played at Inverness, and even though he threatened that record, Irwin too failed to post a red number after seventy-two holes, finishing at even-par 284. As had happened at Winged Foot, he struggled early at Inverness, opening with a three-over 74 to sit four off the pace. That all changed when Irwin seized control with brilliant play in the middle rounds. A three-under 68 and a four-under 67 left him minus four for the championship—three clear of the field. A three-hole stretch starting at the eleventh in round three provided Irwin with the margin even a faltering finish on Sunday could not erase. He followed up two birdies with an eagle at the 523-yard parfive thirteenth. Again it was a two-iron second shot at that hole that highlighted a stretch of four under in three holes. Four under, and enjoying a six-shot lead with nine holes to play, Irwin played an untidy inward nine that featured three bogeys and a double bogey at the seventeenth, giving him a closing 75 and a two-shot margin. He admitted afterward, “I started choking on the first tee.” But he was a twotime Open champion and again had validated for himself that he belonged on the major championship stage. “I had had some great years between ’74 and ’79, and the second Open sort of added emphasis to that fact. It was underlining what I thought was proof that I could still play.” Five wins in the next four years continued the Irwin pattern of steady grinding on the PGA Tour, but it was during that stretch that he experienced his biggest disappointment in the game. In 1984 the Open returned to Winged Foot, and Irwin set his sights on win number three. On this occasion he had a special incentive to win. “My father was quite ill with prostate cancer. It was apparent he wasn’t going to make it. The only thing I could do for him before he died was to win. I was trying to give him one last little bit of happiness.” Three consecutive rounds in the 60s left him poised to deliver for his dad. It was Irwin and Fuzzy Zoeller a stroke apart in the final pairing of the day, but that was as close as Irwin would get. “I failed there. I just played so poorly on Sunday. But I had put so much pressure on myself that there was just no way I could win. I had just heaped this mountain of stuff on top of me. I needed to whittle it down to something I could deal with, and I just couldn’t do that.” Following a win at the Memorial in 1985 Irwin was adrift professionally for the remainder of the decade. In 1986 he finished 128th on the money list without a top ten. Over the next three seasons he remained winless and cracked the top ten only four times. It was a slump he understood and had the patience to endure. Irwin had made the decision during that time to venture into the golf design business. He knew the distraction of starting up a new company would be a hindrance to his game, but it was a sacrifice he was prepared to make, perhaps knowing from his football days that even if the game would drop him for a few losses, he could get still get up and recover. “During that time I wasn’t focusing completely on my game and developed some bad habits. I was not paying attention to detail,” he now says. Starting late in 1989, he decided to “try to concentrate.” Like most great players, Irwin returned to his fundamentals in the game and the teacher who had provided them. For Irwin that teacher could be found in a mirror. Remarkably Irwin never ventured outside his own selfmonitoring to reverse negative trends in his game. “There wasn’t a teacher available when I started golf years ago. I knew by virtue of playing what I could do. I knew how I would react when I got nervous, what I did. I knew what I could do when I felt strong. I don’t say that is necessarily the best way to go, but for me that was probably the best thing.” Through the first half of 1990 Irwin could see improved play, but the winless stretch continued. Nothing suggested he would return to form as the U.S. Open returned to Medinah in Chicago that June—nothing but a dream. Two weeks before the championship Irwin told his wife, Sally, of a dream he had that he had won the Open. It may have been a wish more than a premonition because Irwin was playing on a special exemption from the USGA. Through most of that week it seemed his vision was merely a pipe dream. 122 Golf’s Greatest Eighteen An opening three-under 69 got his name on the leader board but only as an afterthought to the brilliant scoring that was going on ahead of him. A 70 in the second round kept him in the hunt at five under par, but Tim Simpson, at minus nine, was bidding to become the first-ever player in U.S. Open history to reach double figures under par. On Saturday, Irwin could find just one birdie. Offset by three bogeys, his two-over 74 put him tied for twentieth, now four behind journeyman leader Mike Donald as Tim Simpson eased back into the pack. On Sunday, Irwin played “U.S. Open” golf, and had a relentlessly consistent string of outward-nine pars. But this day was rapidly becoming a “red-numbers” affair, and Hale’s consistency, normally the cornerpost of an Open challenge, was in reality losing ground. In football parlance he was facing “third and long” as he headed to the back nine. After a par at ten, Irwin made his first move, a birdie at the 402-yard par-four eleventh. A string of three more birdies followed, taking him to seven under for the championship, but with the third-round leaders playing two hours behind him, it seemed that Irwin was headed merely for a final-day notebook item. Pars on the next four holes failed to alter that impression and brought him to the eighteenth green facing a nearly-fifty-foot snaking putt for birdie and serious contention for a play-off spot. Had he been in the final group, the long bomb he holed might have ranked as the most dramatic moment in U.S. Open history. His birdie sent a roaring message to the leaders behind him on the course, and the normally reserved Irwin punctuated the moment with a victory lap, highfiving his way around the green. It was the signature moment of his career, but he still had two hours to wait to see if it meant anything at all. “Most people remember the seventy-second hole, and that’s where the euphoria happened. That putt that I made was just to get to what I hoped would be a play-off. There were still hours of play behind me, but I had just played the last eight holes of the U.S. Open in five under par. That in itself was pretty amazing. But to birdie that last hole to possibly get into a playoff was my goal.” Donald helped him attain that goal, bogeying the sixteenth hole to slip back into a tie.